Thursday, June 11, 2009

Busy-ness & Discipleship

I just read a friend's post on the funeral of another friend. I shed tears of sorrow - not for the death of this beloved person. This time my tears were more about the busy-ness of life. You see, this deceased friend ALWAYS had time for people, because he always had time with & for God. He lived a life of discipleship. He was always growing as a disciple of Christ; he was always discipling others as he lived a very full life.

Makes me confront what I already know. I'm too full of busy-ness. It's not my heart's desire. It seems like the only way to 'do' (i.e. accomplish/fulfill) what is 'expected' of me ....but certainly not by our Lord.

Strange thing is: others think I am discipling or speaking into their lives. That is my intent and my attempts. So how do I mesh these dichotomous realities? ....I don't. I simply accept that God works in me and sometimes through me to impact others for His glory. I accept that He wants to use me even more. However, I must manage my busy-ness so as to leave room for His work in me.

How busy are you? How is your intimacy factor with our Lord? How are you making yourself available to impact others for God?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if "Busy-ness" will ever be conquered in this culture. It seems to high a mountain to climb. I know I get frustrated by the Holy Spirit working in spite of me. I wonder if this is a sliding scale depending on the person. The point is for us to as Pastor Mark says, "get quiet enough long enough" to hear His voice. The discipline of solitude is definitely something our American and Religious culture don't really subscribe to or value. This post courtesy of the President of Busy-ness.

    ReplyDelete