Monday, May 18, 2009

Pure Spiritual Milk

This verse follows up with the message from Sunday May 17.

1 Peter 2:2
"Like newborn babies, CRAVE PURE SPIRITUAL MILK, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation...."

Notice that the bolded words are in the imperative mood - which expresses a command, prohibition, entreaty, or strong advice. Peter, guided by the Holy Spirit, is placing a strong entreaty - almost command - before us. He's telling us where we should be in the working out of our salvation. This is not meant to be an admonition, but a call to alertness.

Are you satisfied with how well you are loving God, others, and self?

Are you CRAVING PURE SPIRITUAL MILK?

If you want to talk about where you are and/or where you want to go....I'd enjoy talking with you via email, the phone or in person.

3 comments:

  1. Sherrie: Can you post the scripture passages you used for your message here? I'd love to digest them a bit slower. It was a great message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Last night I did some studying and the word "milk" was a subject as it's used in Isaiah 55:1-3. Here is a snapshot of my study notes, if anyone is interested:

    "Ho, every one who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. Why do you spend your money for that which does not satisfy? Hearken diligently to me, and eat what is good, and delight yourselves in fatness. Incline your, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live; and I will make with you an everlasting covenant, my steadfast, sure love for David."


    Thrist: Matt 5:6
    Water: Joh 4:10-14
    Wine: Matt 9:17; Mk 2:22; Lk 5:37-38; Acts 2:13
    Milk: Divine provision of Abundance: Deut 32:14
    Elementary teaching : 1 Cor 3:2
    Pure doctrine : 1 Pet 2:2
    Eat: Joh 6:32-35

    The only way that I have found to "buy" (i.e. "get by exchange or sacrifice) these spiritual goods ... is deliberately, consistently, and persistently pushing aside all other activities, involvements, even optional commitments so that I am available to sit in quiet solitude with the Holy Spirit to receive His teachings, counsel, correction, direction, and companionship. Thank God for His unspeakable gift!

    Keep His Peace,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I have milk in my eye. Today I looked into the Word and here is what caught my attention as I was leafing to find something else:

    "To whom shall He teach knowledge? And to whom would He interpret the message? Those Just weaned from milk? Those just taken from the breast? For He says, 'Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there.'" (Isa 28:9-10, NASB)

    If you read a little further the passage tells of the provision necessary in order to know and understand pure doctrine. The necessary provision is declared for His people by the LORD...

    "Here is rest, give rest to the weary," And, "Here is repose," but they would not listen."

    See: Genesis 2:2-3


    Abide in His Presence,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete