Thursday, May 7, 2009

a Franciscan Benediction

"May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may live deep within your heart (deep in God's truths).

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and help turn their pain into joy.

And may God Bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done."

I've appreciated this benediction for several years. I appreciate it even more when accompanied with the realization that the Holy Spirit's work in me allows for the living, working, comforting and doing needed to live in such a manner.

"The Spirit of Truth...will guide you into all truth....he will speak only what he hears,... He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you." John 16:12-15

"The Spirit helps us in our weakness. ....the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." Romans 8:26

Back to my questions from 2 postings ago:
  • Are you hearing the voice of God?
  • Are you responding to that voice?
  • If not, why not?

2 comments:

  1. Truth or dare? Truth: I don't think this week I'm allowing space to listen even if God was speaking to me. I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Message, John 16:12-15..."when the Friend comes, the Spirit of the Truth, he will take you by the hand and guide you into all the truth there is. He won't draw attention to himself, but will make sense out of what is about to happen and, indeed, out of all that I have done and said. He will honor me; he will take from me and deliver it to you. Everything the Father has is also mine..." Why do we choose not to live in this power daily?

    ReplyDelete